Last fall there were two major changes for our 1st-3rd graders:
- 3rd graders stay with the congregation for worship, rather than go with the 1st and 2nd graders for Children’s Worship in the Music Room.
- 1st and 2nd graders return to the Worship Center for communion, (rather than go right to their Christian Ed classroom right after Children’s Worship).
We will continue to offer Children’s Worship to PreK-K children in the same method as before.
While all children are invited to stay with their families for corporate worship, we are making a special attempt to keep third graders with their church family for worship. As was related in a separate correspondence to families of incoming third graders…
- Knox is making efforts to reflect the kingdom of God in our worship. Corporate worship is a picture of our lives ordered around God. We want children to see that the world is bigger than just themselves. We often separate children from their families in church in order to accommodate their young needs which can subtly teach them that the world revolves around them.
- It gives your children the opportunity to see your love of God. Children notice their parents as they worship and listen to God’s word.
- It gives your children an opportunity to see a community’s love of God.
- As Knox moves toward weekly communion, children will have the opportunity to witness (and potentially participate in) the Lord’s Supper each week.
- We will all worship God together in Heaven. Including children in our worship helps us imagine the great diversity of saints worshiping God one day.
The rationale behind the 1st and 2nd graders returning to witness (or participate in) the Lord’s supper is that some kids have only seldomly even witnessed the Lord’s supper before 3rd or 4th grade. As Pastor Bryan has recently spoken about, we view the Lord’s supper as a great means of grace and we want the children of Knox to witness this important practice of our church community. We offer a Profession of Faith class for children beginning in 2nd grade, the precursor to participation in the Lord’s Supper, and yet most 2nd graders aren’t even with us in the service to take communion.
Because first, second, and third graders will be with us at the end of the service, we ask you to…
- Watch over your kids as they join us in Knox hall for a snack before Christian Education and give them a chance to use the bathroom prior to CE if you are staying.
- Take them to their class downstairs and sign them in before heading to your own CE class. We realize this is quite different from what has been done in the past and thank you to help us maintain order and safety in the building this way.
- Children can be checked into their CE classrooms as early as 11:05 and CE classes will begin at 11:15.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding these new procedures.
Knox Children’s Ministry associates