This full-time position is responsible for the ongoing development and oversight of the operational systems, structures and non-pastoral staff of Knox EPC. This will include Finance/Accounting, Human Resources, and Facilities Management, providing guidance to associated managers and employees and ensuring the operational effectiveness of the Church.
The Operations Director:
- Shows an ongoing commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Puts forth an enthusiastic attitude toward service and Church ministry.
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to, and passion for, the vision and mission of Knox EPC.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Date: January 2019
- Management Skills: Manages people and projects well to ensure effective daily operations and strategically plan for the future.
- Administrative and Organized: A highly administrative self-starter with the ability to prioritize requests, multi-task, manage multiple staff and projects, and direct departmental work flow.
- A Systems Thinker: Able to assess, problem solve, improve and create operational systems.
- Interpersonal Skills: Relates well to all kinds of people by listening, learning, negotiating and educating. Builds effective relationships with teams and senior leaders.
- Highly Collaborative: Shows a willingness to collaborate with all who report to them, Pastoral staff, and ministry leaders in improving operations and promoting the mission of Knox EPC.
- Deferential and Collegial: demonstrates ability to respond to Senior Pastor and Session-assigned tasks and direction with respect, clarity, creativity, and timeliness.
- Project Management: Can manage projects and deadlines and assist in the planning and management of church-wide initiatives.
- Communication Skills: Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Mature in discretion: Maintains confidentiality and demonstrates tact and sensitivity in relating to Church staff and leaders.
- Critical Thinking: Able to analyze complex problems and recommend appropriate solutions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gives direct oversight to Managers and associated staff in facilities management, finance/accounting, office operations, and audio-visual operations.
- Reviews and troubleshoots church policies and procedures to ensure effective processes related to office systems, infrastructure, operations, and building usage.
- Establishes policies for building use, ensures their implementation, and directs appropriate staff members in handling any problems that arise.
- Provides support to and collaborates with the following committees: Personnel & Policy (P&P), Finance, and Building & Grounds (B&G).
- Performs annual reviews for all administrative and facilities management and ensures annual reviews are performed by appropriate supervisors for all ministry staff.
- In cooperation with the Senior Pastor and P&P, oversees and participates in development of policies and procedures regarding Human Resource issues, conflict management and resolution, and termination of employment.
- Oversees and invests in the ongoing training and development of reporting managers and staff.
- Works with ministry, administrative and facilities staff to maintain up-to-date position descriptions.
- Oversees duties of Knox Accountant position and ensures diligent performance of audits.
- Manages the church’s property and liability insurance policies and helps to assess and mitigate operational risks.
- Assists the Building Manager and Office Manager as needed in the selection and supervision of external vendors.
- Executes staff recruiting by creating job descriptions, posting positions, screening resumes, overseeing the interview and selection process, performing background checks, and extending offers of employment.
- Directs the onboarding process for new employees.
- In cooperation with the Finance Committee, oversees the annual budget development process.
- Exercises responsible stewardship by controlling costs within annual budgetary goals.
- In cooperation with the P&P Committee, oversees the annual health insurance selection process.
- Works with all “stakeholders” to maintain procedures for handling weddings and funerals at Knox, ensuring that proper staffing for these events and facilities needs are met.
- In cooperation with the B&G Committee Chair, Facilities Manager, Office Manager, and Children’s Ministry representative, oversees interaction with outside groups that use the Knox facility, including assessment of building usage fees, outside group responsibilities, and scheduling.
- Serves as ex officio member of B&G, P&P, and Finance Committees.
- Collaborates with Safety Committee in the areas of building security and risk mitigation.
- Trains volunteer ministry leaders in operating systems and guidelines regarding building use, announcements, special events, communications and general ministry activities.
- Oversees staff related projects and special events as needed, and collects feedback for major recurring church events for future improvement.
- Leads or participates in various staff meetings to disseminate information, develop action steps, and assign responsibilities to others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role: operations management, human resource management, finance/accounting, and facilities management.
- College degree in Business Administration or comparable experience.
- Experience in the hiring and supervision of employees.
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred.
- Prior experience in managing Church operations or non-profit organization preferred.
- Software skills: Microsoft Office and Google Apps for Business.
Please email Betty Clark at email@example.com to forward your resume and answer any questions.